Two people in a serious condition after alleged stabbing during brawl at Sydney rugby league match

Category: کارما No comments

A 19-year-old man has been arrested after an alleged stabbing involving several people on opposing teams of a rugby league match in Sydney’s north-west on Sunday.

NSW Police were called to the under-20s community match between Wentworthville Magpies and Penrith Brothers in North Parramatta at 11:20am following reports of a brawl.

“It’s alleged that two western Sydney-based football teams were involved in a fight after the match concluded,” NSW Police’s Grant Morrissey said.

“As a result of this altercation, one male who played for one of the teams was stabbed by another male who also played for the opposing team.”

“Two spectators also became involved in the altercation and they were stabbed as well.”

Acting Inspector Morrissey said police believe the alleged weapon used was a kitchen knife, but investigations were still under way.

“It’s believed to be a six-inch kitchen knife, six-inch blade,” he said.

A boy and two men, aged 16, 19 and 22, were found with injuries outside the ground at Old Salesyard Reserve on Gladstone Street and were taken to Westmead Hospital.

Police said two remained in a serious but stable condition at the hospital.

Several men fled the scene as emergency services arrived.

Police and people on a track
Police are appealing for mobile phone footage from the scene.(ABC News)

Officers arrested the 19-year-old Cambridge Park man just before 2:00pm.

He was taken to Nepean Hospital under police guard to receive medical attention for a hand injury.

He is expected to be charged.

Police said the motive for the attack was not known.

They appealed for witnesses who may have mobile phone footage to come forward to assist the investigation.

NSW Rugby League chief executive David Trodden said anybody involved with the incident could expect “never to have a role in our game ever again”.

“The incident is sickening criminal behaviour and those responsible for it deserve to face the full force of the law,” he said.

“Everyone who enjoys community sport at the weekend should expect to be able to do it in a safe environment and it is nothing short of appalling that an incident like this has taken place in an area adjacent to where one of our matches was being conducted.”

Mr Trodden said both teams have been stood down immediately pending the outcome of the police investigation.

Michael Chrara, a spectator at Sunday’s game, said it was upsetting that children and families witnessed the incident.

“What was a good game of football has turned into a tragic event,” he said.

Leave a reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>