A 33-year-old woman has become the first person in Western Australia to be fitted with an electronic monitoring bracelet for allegedly breaching a quarantine direction.
- Police allege the 33-year-old woman breached a self-quarantine direction
- It’s alleged the woman had two men visit her while in home quarantine
- Police say the woman has been moved to a Perth hotel
WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson, who is also the state emergency coordinator, made the order and the device was fitted to the woman on Friday night.
In a statement, police said the woman arrived in WA from New South Wales on September 1, and was directed to self-isolate at her home in Perth for 14 days’ quarantine.
Police said officers with the Self Quarantine Assurance Team were conducting a routine check on Thursday this week, when they discovered two men visiting the woman at her house.
The woman, who was still under a self-quarantine direction, was advised she would be issued with a $1,000 infringement for failing to comply with the direction and was moved to a Perth quarantine hotel.
“After careful consideration of the circumstances of the breach and the woman’s previous history, the State Emergency Coordinator formed a view that it was necessary to monitor her location during the quarantine period,” the police statement read.
“The monitoring device, attached to the woman’s ankle, will remain in place until the end of the woman’s quarantine period.”
It makes the 33-year-old woman the first person in WA to be fitted with an electronic monitoring bracelet under laws introduced by the WA Government as part of the COVID-19 State of Emergency.
Last month, Police Minister Michelle Roberts had indicated 53-year-old Paul John Lawrence — the man accused of breaching quarantine directions and sparking a COVID-19 scare at a Perth pub — would become the first person in the state to be fitted with a tracking device, however that did not eventuate.
Meanwhile, the WA Health Department has recorded no new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours.