The closing date for making submissions to the independent review of the response to the North-West Tasmania COVID-19 outbreak has been extended.
Independent Reviewer Greg Melick said, given how important it was for interested parties to make submissions and acknowledging how many people continue to be focused on the COVID-19 response, the deadline had been extended to 5pm on September 1, 2020.
“The effectiveness of the independent review relies on full and frank submissions being made,” Mr Melick said.
“All Tasmanians, including state service employees and officers are encouraged to engage with the process.
In other news:
“I have been advised by the government that there will be no breach of the code of conduct committed by a state service employee, acting in good faith, providing evidence, or producing material to the Independent Reviewer.”
Labor health spokeswoman Sarah Lovell said extending the deadline was the right call to ensure it delivered genuine insights into what happened in the lead up to, and during, the outbreak.
She has previously criticised the fact the submissions deadline closed prior to public servants being granted immunity.
“Now that people know they will have immunity from reprisals, they are much more likely to come forward with evidence that will help Tasmania be better prepared for, and able to respond to, emerging developments with COVID-19,” Ms Lovell said.
“These workers should have been given full protection from the start, particularly in light of the criticism and blame directed at them by the chief medical officer and the Prime Minister during the outbreak, based on false information.”
Submissions can be emailed to [email protected] or mailed to Independent Review North-West Tasmania, GPO Box 123, Hobart, TAS, 7001.