A man set to receive more than $1 million in compensation after badly burning his hand operating a barbecue is now seeking to be awarded interest on the payment.
In 2015, Kraig Anthony Dann was using a barbecue at an event at the Port Sorell Bowls Club, cooking meat for up to 60 people.
In other news:
He said a fat runoff container had overflowed and caused a fire. Mr Dann sustained serious burns to his right hand in trying to put the fire out and argued the club was negligent in its failure to provide sufficient protective gear for barbecuing, fire safety equipment and an adequate fat runoff system.
The plaintiff said the injury had left him without a job as a tradesman and unable to perform other types of work.
Now Mr Dann and the club are at odds over whether the $1,074,880 in damages the Supreme Court ruled he was entitled to should also attract interest, after legislation was amended last year allowing for the practice.
Both parties will prepare further written submissions for the court. The matter was adjourned until Friday, October 2.
Sign up to one of our newsletters: