Man charged with manslaughter over truck crash that killed four police officers

A man has been charged with manslaughter over a crash on the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne earlier this year, in which four police officers were killed.

The 49-year-old man from Frankston was arrested on Saturday morning.

He was expected to face an out-of-sessions court hearing on Saturday night.

The four police officers died on April 22 when a truck crashed into them in the emergency lane of the freeway, where they were questioning the driver of a speeding Porsche.

Police say the 49-year-old man is from the trucking company.

A row of bouquets of flowers is lined up against the outside wall of the Boroondara Police Station.
Tributes to the four officers were left outside the Boroondara Police Station.(ABC News: Billy Draper)

Leading Senior Constable Lynette Taylor, Senior Constable Kevin King, Constable Glen Humphris and Constable Josh Prestney were killed when the truck, allegedly being driven by 47-year-old Mohinder Singh, crashed into them about 5:30pm, after they had intercepted a Porsche on the Eastern Freeway at Kew.

Mr Singh was charged over the police officers’ deaths in April.

The officers all died at the scene.

The four officers had been standing in the emergency lane as they prepared to impound the Porsche, which was being driven by 41-year-old Melbourne mortgage broker Richard Pusey.

TV cameras video a man wearing a black mask as he is led out of a house.
Richard Pusey allegedly fled the scene of the crash which killed the four police officers.(AAP: Michael Dodge, file)

Police allege Mr Pusey was driving at 149 kilometres per hour when they made the decision to pull him over.

Mr Pusey has been in custody since April having been charged with drug possession, destroying evidence, failing to render assistance and driving at a dangerous speed.

He appeared in court last month, with his lawyers saying he wanted to resolve the charges as quickly as possible.

Mr Pusey, who allegedly filmed himself taunting police officer Lynette Taylor as she lay dying on the freeway, is due to return to court this month.