Paris’s Eiffel Tower was evacuated on Wednesday after police received a call suggesting a bomb had been placed there.
- Police blocked off the streets near the tower and bridge across the Seine River
- Tourists, restaurant staff and workmen were led away from the site
- Police found no explosives and reopened the tourist attraction
Several hundred people were led away from the tower while police conducted a search of the monument, a police source said, but no explosives were found.
The site reopened at about 2.25pm on Wednesday (local time).
Tourists, restaurant staff and workmen were led away from the tower in the late morning.
“It was an orderly evacuation, there was no panic,” Manuel, a tour guide on site when the evacuation order was given, said.
Earlier, an official with the tower’s management company, who was not authorised to speak to the media, said the anonymous caller said a bomb had been placed inside the tower.
Police blocked off the streets below the tower and the bridge stretching across the Seine River to Trocadero Plaza.
Some tourists were still walking in the area during the police operation, including a group speaking Russian and carrying a bottle of Champagne.
It was not initially clear if the bomb threat was a hoax.
The 131-year-old tower gets about 25,000 tourists daily in normal years, but visits are down this year because of coronavirus travel restrictions.