Dozens poisoned by carbon monoxide at Norway bunker rave

Category: کارما No comments

At least 27 people have been hospitalised after being poisoned by carbon monoxide given off by portable generators at an illegal rave party inside an Oslo bunker

Five people were hospitalised in a critical condition — including two police officers who were the first at the scene — but their lives are not in danger, Norwegian news agency NTB said.

Two of the five were released from intensive care on Monday, NTB reported.

Police said that two people faced preliminary charges of trespassing and illegally being inside a bunker.

More people could face preliminary charges, police said, adding that the weekend rave is still being investigated.

Up to 200 party-goers in their 20s and 30s had gathered in the bunker in the Norwegian capital for the rave, which used portable diesel generators to power lighting and sound systems.

Officers discovered the event early on Sunday morning when a police patrol met a group of confused young people in the park where the bunker lies.

Emergency services found seven more people unconscious inside the bunker.

The party started late Saturday night and had been announced on closed social media pages.

The company that owns the bunker described the illegal rave as a “serious break-in” and insisted that it did not bear any responsibility, Norway’s VG newspaper reported.

The entrance to the bunker had been previously closed with double-reinforced concrete but the new owners only secured it with wooden boards.

The organisers later said the diesel generators were in a room with ventilation but neither police nor the fire department could confirm that.

Several who attended told Norwegian media that they had to go outside several times to breathe fresh air.

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas produced by burning carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal.

The gas is harmful because it displaces oxygen from red blood cells, resulting in damage to major organs.

Exposure can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, coughing, breathing problems and irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, and in some cases it can be fatal.

AP

tinyurlis.gdv.gdv.htu.nuclck.ruulvis.netshrtco.detny.im

Leave a reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>