A man who burned his hand while using a barbecue at the Port Sorell Bowls Club looks set to receive more than $1 million in compensation.
Justice Helen Wood in Hobart’s Supreme Court on Friday found that the bowls club was held largely negligent for Kraig Anthony Dann’s injury.
Ms Wood said the court had found Mr Dann should be awarded $1,074,880 in damages as a result of the injury.
In other news:
Legal representatives for both parties have seven days to query this figure.
The matter has been relisted for September 15 at 4pm for parties to make submissions to the court.
During last year’s hearings, Mr Dann alleged he and another member had been asked to barbecue meat for up to 60 people at the club’s Barefoot Bowlers promotional evening in 2015.
He said as he barbecued, the fat runoff container overflowed and caused a fire.
Mr Dann said to stop the fire spreading to the nearby gas cylinder, he removed the container which resulted in the hot fat causing serious burns to his hand.
He argued the club was negligent in its failure to provide a proper barbeque, protective gear, fire safety equipment, and an adequate fat runoff system.
Mr Dann said his injuries were exacerbated by the club’s failure to provide adequate first aid.
He argued he had experienced prolonged pain and restriction of movement from his severely burned right hand.
Mr Dann said the injury had resulted in the loss of his job as a tradesman at a mining site and left him wholly incapacitated from other forms of work.
Sign up to one of our newsletters: