Subdivisions in parts of Westbury may be restricted to three blocks in certain circumstances under recommendations endorsed by the Meander Valley Council last week.
Draft amendments to the Local Provisions Schedule were endorsed by the council on Tuesday and one of the latest recommendations was a provision on five acre block subdivisions in Westbury’s low density residential area to only allow a maximum of three lots.
Mayor Wayne Johnston said a survey was sent to five acre block owners at Westbury asking for their opinion to inform the decision.
The proposed subdivision changes aim to keep the town’s character and amenity by setting a minimum lot size provision to ensure a mix of one hectare and 5000 metres squared lots (three lots per five acres).
Another recommendation was plans to investigate setbacks to the Rutherglen Residential Village and thresholds for treatment of Rutherglen Road.
In other news:
It has been more than a two year journey for the council to get its LPS amendments sorted and the end is somewhat in sight.
The LPS indicates how the state planning provisions apply to a municipality and may contain council-area specific objectives or planning controls for certain areas.
The recommendations follow the council’s first draft LPS being endorsed in December 2017, before it was submitted to the Tasmanian Planning Commission and exhibited in October 2018.
Forty-one representations were received and the council’s report on the representations endorsed in April 2019 and sent to the TPC.
The TPC held public hearings and in February 2020, it directed the council to substantially modify its draft LPS and again advertise it.
- Applying rural living zones at Kimberley
- Rezoning Entally Lodge to general residential
- Subdivision provisions in Deloraine’s low density resident zone
- A specific area plan at Reedy Marsh and priority vegetation area to properties
- Allowing subdivisions in the Upper Golden Valley not requiring direct access to Highland Lakes Road
- Modification of the use table in low density residential zones to prohibit multiple dwellings at Chudleigh, Deloraine’s Davis Road, Elizabeth Town, Meander, Pumicestone Ridge
The substantial draft amendment attracted 101 representations, with 72 related to Westbury’s low density zone plan. The council’s report on the representations will be forwarded to the TPC and will be exhibited again.
What do you think? Send us a letter to the editor: