A 50-year-old man from Circular Head has been charged with evading police after a 180 kilometres an hour police chase along the Bass Highway at Black River.
The speed limit is 100 km/h.
Police said they had responded to a report from a concerned citizen in relation to the “driving manner” of a blue Ford Falcon.
Police sprung the man travelling in the Ford at Black River about 3.20pm on August 17.
Police allege the man evaded police by accelerating to more than 180km/h after police activated their emergency lights. Police further allege the man began overtaking multiple cars and trucks in an unsafe manner.
An attempt to spike the vehicle was made but was unsuccessful, and police say they disengaged in the interests of public safety.
The man was instead located and arrested on Friday in relation to the incident.
The man was interviewed and charged with the following:
- Evade Police (Aggravated Circumstances)
- Exceed Speed Limit – (Speed Limit sign)
- Overtake when unsafe to do so
- Cross continuous line on multi-lane road.
- Drive whilst not the holder of a driver licence.
- Drive without due care and attention
He has been bailed to appear in Smithton Court on 16 September.